(Index to all Fake Art School posts at the bottom of the page.)
This is an experiment, something I’m calling Fake Art School. The name is to poke a little fun at how art education has gone from an apprenticeship to a pay-your-money-get-your-degree system. It’s also a way to organize a series of articles about going back to basics using old instruction books.
All textbooks and source materials are freely available on the internet.
The focus will be on sketching and drawing, using graphite, ink, and watercolors. Since most of the course materials are over 100 years old, I’ll be adapting the techniques to modern materials as needed.
I’ll be keeping an updated supplies list on my recommended art supplies page.
Elements of pen-and-ink rendering, rendering with pen and brush by International Library of Technology (c1905)
Download the book, grab your supplies and start making art. Then discuss and share your work on Twitter.
Index of articles:
- Fake Art School: 000 The Beginning — 2016-01-11
- Fake Art School: 001 Elements, Introduction — 2016-01-12
- Fake Art School: 002 Elements, Values — 2016-01-16
- Just registered: fakeartschool.com — 2016-01-17
- Lightfast Test: Lukas Aquarelle 1862 after two months — 2016-03-17